Saturday, June 6, 2009
San Antonio, Texas - Part Three
The beautiful old "Spanish Governor's Palace" in San Antonio, Texas, is one of the most striking buildings of Spanish architecture in the South.
Begun during the 1720s and probably completed in 1749, the building was actually the residence and office of the commandant of the Spanish garrison in San Antonio. In 1772, the captain of the San Antonio garrison also became the governor of Texas, and it is likely that the name "Spanish Governor's Palace" dates from that time.
The structure served military purposes for almost 100 years, but by 1821 had become the civilian residence of the former captain of the presidio (fort), Ignacio Perez. His family lived in the palace for many years. It later served a variety of roles, ranging from saloon to pawn shop.
Acquired by the city of San Antonio in 1928 and beautifully restored, the "Spanish Governor's Palace" is now a museum. Located at 105 Military Plaza in downtown San Antonio, it is one of the more economical such attractions in the South. The cost to visit is only $2 for adults, $1.50 for senior citizens and children ages 7-13. Children 6 and under are admitted free.
To learn more, please visit www.exploresouthernhistory.com/governorspalace.