|Midway Congregational Church in Georgia|
It was at Midway Church, often called Midway Meeting House, in 1775 that the residents of what is now Liberty County gathered to elect someone to represent them at the Second Continental Congress. The Congregationalists settled in Midway, Sunbury and the surrounding area had originally come from Dorchester, Massachusetts, and were quick to support their their former neighbors there in the wake of the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
|The present structure was completed in 1792.|
The church was occupied by troops again some nine decades later during the final days of Sherman's March to the Sea. The cavalry of Union Gen. Judson Kilpatrick corralled their horses in the cemetery and Kilpatrick made Midway Church his headquarters as Sherman was closing in on Savannah and Fort McAllister.
Please visit our new Midway Congregational Church page to learn more about this historic landmark: http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/midway.